In order to advance the principles of sportsmanship and fair play and to promote mutual respect among players, coaches, officials and spectators, the Alaska Gold Basketball program has established this “Code of Conduct” for all of our members.
The Code of Conduct shall govern the actions of players, coaches and spectators while active in our program. The Code is intended to provide behavioral guidance and establish clear expectations for all involved. The Code was not conceived to address every possible behavioral circumstance; however, it shall serve as Alaska Gold’s standard for behavioral evaluation. It shall be the obligation of all program participants, spectators and volunteers, to comply with the terms and provisions of the Code of Conduct.
Coaches, Parents and Spectators
All adults who supervise, coach, officiate or simply watch and cheer for the players on the court shall remain unconditionally supportive of Alaska Gold’s commitment to the ideals of good sportsmanship, team play, honesty, loyalty, courage and respect for authority. Likewise, all adults shall remain sensitive to the physical and emotional well-being of the players. In order to adhere to these doctrines all adults agree as follows:
• You will be positive role models.
• You will display and instill in the players the principles of good sportsmanship and team play.
• You will conduct yourselves in a manner that best serves the interests of the players.
• You will do your best to provide the players a positive experience.
• You will ensure that winning and/or losing teams do so in a manner which exhibits respect and good sportsmanship.
• You will treat everyone on the court (players, parents, spectators, opposing coaches and league officials) with respect.
• You will provide instruction in a manner that is constructive and supportive.
• You will not ridicule or demean players, coaches, officials or spectators.
• You will not tolerate behavior that endangers the health or well-being of a child.
• You will comply with the decisions of league officials and observe all rules, policy and procedure as established or endorsed by the Alaska Gold Basketball program.
• You will teach the game of basketball to the best of your ability.
• You will be drug and alcohol-free while at any Alaska Gold athletic event.
• You will not use any tobacco products in the gym or anywhere in the recreational and/or school facility.
• Coaches acknowledge the need to demonstrate fundamental proficiencies with respect to the game of basketball and first aid. Consequently, all coaches agree to attend any skill sessions that may be required.
• display good sportsmanship and team play at all times.
• follow the direction of the coaching staff.
• respect all coaches, players, league officials, referees and spectators.
• make every attempt to be on time and ready to play for all games and practices.
You will not
• use abusive or profane language.
• taunt or humiliate any other player.
• question an official’s call.
• abuse, mistreat or mishandle any Alaska Gold or league equipment or property (e.g., kicking basketballs or hanging on rims).
At the discretion of your coach, a player may be taken out of a game or removed from any Alaska Gold-sponsored activity for conduct which is not consistent with the above Code.
For further advice on how parents should support the AK Gold players please take time to read the AK Gold’s Parent’s Handbook.